These goodies are Paleo, Whole 30, and free from gluten, dairy, refined sugar, soy, and lots of other things because of the crazy diet I follow 😂. If you’re interested, you can read more about my journey to wellness with autoimmune disease here.
Despite everything that’s NOT in these cookies, they are completely delicious and moist! Which is not always the case with ultra-healthy baked goods.
Here’s the recipe:
1/2 c. prune puree, or 1 pack of Gerber 2nd Foods Prunes and Apples (which are easier to find and require no measuring)
1/4 c. coconut butter*
1/4 c. cashew butter
1 Tbs coconut sugar
1/4 c. carob powder (you can sub cocoa powder instead, but they won’t be as sweet)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs gelatin powder (preferably grass-fed)
2 Tbs mini dark chocolate chips
*Coconut butter is not the same thing as coconut oil and does not serve the same function in baked goods. They are not interchangeable; using coconut oil instead of butter will result in a runny, oily mess! (Just a heads up.) 🙂 You can find coconut butter at Whole Foods and on Amazon.
1. Place coconut butter in a glass mixing bowl and melt in microwave. (about 15 seconds should do it)
2. Whisk in prunes, cashew butter, and egg. Beat well to combine.
3. Add all dry ingredients except chocolate chips.
4. Drop dough onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (I usually make 12 cookies.)
5. Top cookies with chocolate chips.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 8 minutes. (Do not overbake or they’ll get dry.)
7. Let cool before diving in!
Yield: 12 cookies
Nutrition per cookie:
2 g protein
6 g carbs
7 g fat
2 g fiber
4.4 g sugar